March 27, 2010

Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth

Title: Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth
Author: Sandra Dutton
Age Range: 8-12
Reviewer: Rose
Note: This book will not be released until June 2010

Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth tells the story of a girl who starts noticing that what her teacher teaches about fossils and what her pastor teaches at church don't agree. She persists until finally her mom pulls her out of school to homeschool her with the
Bible. But Mary Mae isn't happy being homeschooled and tries to find ways to go back to school. The ending is satisfying, with both parties coming to an agreement that works out.

As a (non-Christian) homeschooler myself, my bone to pick with this book was that homeschooling was portrayed in a negative and untruthful
light. While the situation in the book could happen (and unfortunately does occasionally) a majority of the time homeschooling is a much more postive and well thought out experience.

Over all, I think that this book encourages kids to think and decide for themselves whether they believe in Creationism, Evolution or both but with a slightly heavier emphasis on Creationism.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rose,

    Thanks so much for reviewing my book, “Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth.” I’m glad you think this book “encourages kids to think and decide for themselves,” because that was important to me. But you say there is a “slightly heavier emphasis on Creationism.” Actually Mary Mae is leaning more toward a belief in evolution, with her realization that the earth was formed not just 6000 years ago, but many millions of years ago. Also, while her mother, the minister and the Sunday School teacher are insisting on a literal interpretation of the Bible, Mary Mae sees contradictions in the Bible: how can God separate the light from the dark on day one if he doesn’t make the sun, moon and stars until day four? And regarding Noah’s Ark, How did God manage to bring all those animals together from various parts of the world? And how did he feed the animals? And keep the insects separate from other insects and from eating each other? So Mary Mae has questions. She cannot accept the Bible’s dictum literally.

    I see that you are a part of a home schooling group and I applaud that. I think home schooling is wonderful when the parents are prepared and qualified. Mary Mae’s mother, although she means well, is neither prepared nor qualified. She pulls Mary Mae out of school without having any idea how she will structure lessons. And she thinks teaching will be easy, but of course you and I know it is not. So I’m not against home schooling, per se. Many of my friends have home schooled their children and the children have done beautifully.

    Please take a look at my blog when you have time, www.MaryMaeandtheGospelTruth.com. It has all kinds of interesting things—pictures of fossils I took in the Cincinnati and Louisville areas—fossils that are mentioned in the book, and under “For Educators,” study questions and projects for children, parents, and teachers.

    Again, thank you for reviewing my book. And I wish you and your children the best!

    Sandra Dutton

    ReplyDelete